Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Bhagavadgita The Song Divine Chapter 1 (stanza 28-39)


Arjuna said Krishna, as I see these kinsmen arrayed for battle, my limbs give way and my mouth is getting parched; nay shiver runs through my body and hair stands on end. (Second half of 28 and 29)
The bow, Gandiva, slips from my hand and my skin too burns all over; my mind is whirling as it were, and I can no longer hold myself steady. …………… (30)
And, Kesava, I do not see omens of evil, nor do I see any good in killing my kinsmen in battle. …. (31)
Krishna, I do not covet victory, nor kingdom, nor pleasures. Govinda of what use will kingdom of luxuries or even life be to us! ……… (32)
Those very persons for whose sake we covet the kingdom, luxurious and pleasures - teachers, uncles and great grand uncles, maternal uncles, fathers-in-law, grand-nephews, brothers-in-law and other relations are here arrays on the battlefield staking their lives and wealth. ……… (33-34)
O Slayer of Madhu, I do not want to kill them, though they may slay me, even for the sovereignty over three worlds; how much the less for the kingdom here on earth! ….. (35)
Krishna, how can we hope to be happy slaying the sons of Dhrtarastra; by killing even these desperadoes, sin will surely accrue to us. …….. (36)
Therefore, Krishna, it does not behoove us to kill our relations, the sons of Dhrtarastra. For how can we be happy after killing our own kinsmen? …………. (37)

Even though these people, with their mind blinded by greed, perceive no evil in destroying their own race and no sin in treason to friends, why should not we, O Krishna, who see clearly the sin accruing from the destruction of one's family, think of desisting from committing this sin. ……..(38-39)

No comments:

Post a Comment