Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Wholehearted execution of the prescribed disciplines 5


Gurudev continued, "In practical life you are to be taught four lessons of wisdom, honesty, responsibility and courage. These help in the inner growth of the soul and develop brilliance of intellect. With a view to developing the talents required for execution of your future plans of action and also to hone up the instruments needed for the purpose, your participation in India's freedom struggle is essential."
It is not pertinent to discuss here as to what I did for the country, how much I suffered and how I discharged the duties and responsibilities which were entrusted to me. Anybody interested to know about it may read the book 'Freedom Fighters of Agra Division' published by the Information Department of the Uttar Pradesh Government. In those days I was known by the name of Sriram Matta. The important thing that needs to be understood is the purpose underlying this particular direction of Gurudev.
During those ten years of my active participation in the freedom struggle, I interacted with people of different nature in and outside the jail. In those days mass awakening was at its highest peak. I came in contact with several brave, courageous persons with firm determination and I learnt many useful lessons from them. It took me less than a couple of years to learn the art of winning over supporters, coworkers and appreciators for the stupendous task of revolutionary moral reawakening that was the primary aim and mission of my life. It would not have been possible for me to learn these lessons even by touring the country extensively on my own. Family attachments, feelings of mine and thine were got rid of and I lived a happy life even in adverse circumstances. This created self-confidence. The most important gain was that I developed the attitude of a volunteer, which has helped me to remain humble even at this late stage of my life. The suspense as to why I was directed to perform Mahapurascarans in two phases was thus removed by my experiences of the freedom struggle.

The Indian National Congress was established about a century back but the Congress in which we worked was altogether different from what it is now and I had peculiar experiences while working in it. Effortlessly, I got an opportunity to establish contacts with several eminent persons. O always conducted myself as a disciplined volunteer. So, whenever any volunteer was needed to serve eminent leaders, I used to be pushed forward in view of my young age. From these contacts, I imbibed many virtues and also got the opportunities of living with Gandhiji in Sabarmati Asram and with Vinobaji in Pavnar Asram,. Others went to these great personages for their darsan but to me the insights provided by these contacts proved to be celestial boons.

No comments:

Post a Comment