Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Wholehearted execution of the prescribed disciplines 1


I heard the inner voice that it was a historical moment which must not be missed. I got my name enrolled in the corps of satyagrahis of that region. I had to leave my house and go to the front offer salt Satyagraha. The officials of the government and their propagandists had spread rumors that there would be firing and people would be sentenced to long imprisonments, including transportation for life, with a view to dissuading them from taking part in this movement. All my friends, neighbors, family members, relatives came to impress upon me that what I was contemplating to do was a suicidal act. The matter got further aggravated and some relatives threatened to go on fast and commit suicide. My mother, who was my guardian, was tutored to get my name struck off as a co-inheritor(along with my brother) of valuable ancestral property and get the names of other entered in my place. My brothers said that none of them would have any relation with me and I would not be allowed entry the house. I was threatened to got kidnapped and compelled to live in the camps of dacoits.
I listened to all these threats calmly. The question before me was: what should  be given  precedence, pressure of the family or the need of the times? I made my soil and God as witness and decided   to act according to the 'still small voice 'from within.
In this context, the persecution of Prahlad appeared before my eyes. I also recalled the story of Dhruva, the determination of paravati and the life stories of innumerable great men, warriors, saints, reformists and martyrs. None of the family members and relatives of these great personages had supported them. They remained firmly committed to the call of duty on the strength of their own spiritual discernment. I, therefore, became indifferent to what worldly friends, neighbors' and relatives said or did. If higher ideals are to be pursued one has to resolutely struggle against greed and cravings.

Despite stiff opposition, I stealthily reached the place which was indicated, launched satyagraha and courted arrest.

No comments:

Post a Comment