Friday, May 22, 2015

First Call of Gurudev: Tests at every step 5


Mind in the mass of humanity is weak. It can become powerful, if it is properly trained. I dispelled fear from my mind and continued my pilgrimage in that region. Instead of expecting favourable conditions I thought of making my mind strong enough to be able to live unperturbed under all conditions. I molded myt mind in this direction and adverse circumstances which, in the beginning, had appeared frightening became easy and natural.
The mind Uttarkashi to Gangotri there was a perilous trial prepared by pedestrians. There was a footpath also from Gangotri upto Gomukh. Tapovan is beyond Gomukh on a still higher altitude and there was no proper track leading to it. It is also a plain plateau. One has to walk according to inner inspiration or by relying on one's fate. After it, there is a series of high mountains before one reaches Nandanvan. This was the place where I was summoned. I reached there at the appointed time and saw Gurudev standing there. Our joy knew no bounds. At first, he had visited my house. This time I came to his abode. I ardently wished and prayed for such meetings to recur frequently throughout my life.
This time I was put to three tests; to live alone, endure the tempestuous fury of inclement and icy cold weather and to remain unafraid while surrounded by ferocious animals. I passed in all the three tests.
Our talks did not last for long, Gurudev said, "It was necessary to have strong will and determination to attain spiritual power. Adverse circumstances could be transformed into opportunities for self-growth. A person having the soul of a Risi should not be afraid even of death, what to speak of tigers and lions. You have to spend most of your time under such conditions."

I was taken to the cave in which he had his abode and was shown a place to sleep. I had a very sound sleep, the duration of which might have been twice or thrice the time of my normal sleep. My entire fatigue and weariness of the journey disappeared, as if I had not waked at all. I took bath there in a flowing stream and performed worship (sandhya) there. I saw Brahma-kamal and Dev-kand for the first time in my life. By the smell of Brahma-kamal a person enters into yog-nindra in a short time. Dev-kand is taken out from the earth. It is like sweet potato and tastes like a water-nut. A ripe Dev-kand weighs nearly five kilos. It satisfies one person's hunger for about a week. These two were the only tangible presents of Gurudev. One helped in eradicating physical fatigue and the other in infusing the mind with high spirits.

No comments:

Post a Comment