Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Wholehearted execution of the prescribed disciplines


In his first meeting Gurudev had prescribed for me three disciplines. Twenty-four Gayatri Mahapurascaranas had to be performed for twenty-four years strictly in accordance with the prescribed rules in front of a ghrit lamp to be kept lighted uninterruptedly. The second important discipline to be undergone was of writing books for promoting t enlightened good of the masses. This was also essential for my own self-growth and self-education. This needed intense and extensive study and concentration. Side by side, public contacts had to be established to develop my organizing skills. The third important responsibility was to play the role of a voluntary freedom-fighter in India's struggle for independence. As a matter of fact, these programs were not complementary to each other, but none of these became an obstacle in the progress of my Sadhana and study; although, in between, I had to visit Himalayas twice. The credit for this goes to my divine guide who had taken full control of the reins of my life and had assured constant protection.
I was enjoined by Gurudev to have the outlook of a Risi. I was also told that although I was related to my family, I should remain quite detached from it. I should listen to everybody but should do what I considered appropriate; as it would be well nigh impossible for me to reach the goal if attention is paid to their advice. Spiritual path (sreya) and material path (preya) are diametrically opposite to each other and only one of them can be followed. If the world was pleased with someone his inmost self will not be happy with him. If the inner soul is satisfied, the displeasure of the worldly people will have to be suffered. This has generally happened in the lives of all true seekers of truth. It is very very rare that the pursuit of higher ideals has been approved by relatives. More ofter than not, the human soul had to surrender before the worldly people, high ideals had to be given up and the old soul-suffocating routine had to be carried on.
I faced this difficulty the very first day. With the starting of the series of purascaranas I started taking the prescribed food and leading the life of an ascetic (tapasvi). This created havoc. People started discussing me in their own way in sweet and sour words. The gist of their advice was that no steps should be taken to disturb the ordinary reutilized way by which people earned their livelihood. Although our ancestral property was so large that three generations could have easily been fed and maintained sitting idle, it was stressed that it should all be kept intact for future and the family should be maintained on fresh earnings through the ancestral profession of priesthood. How could the arguments of these people be rebutted? Ultimately, I make one of the three Gurus of Gandhiji as my Guru, i.e. I kept silent and felt relieved. I simply said that what I was doing was in response to Divine inspiration and thus restored a semblance of peace. I started acting upon my solemnly taken pledge in such a manner as if I had not to take advice from and answer to anybody. On a back look now I see that if such firmness had not been shown my life boat would have been rocked by violent jerks and capsized and I would have  missed that opportunity by which, with the help of Sadhana, I Have been able to do good to myself as well as to the masses. Relationship with God could not have been established with anything less than purity of heart and clarity and brilliance of head.

I was subjected to a second test in my childhood when the non-cooperation movement of the Indian National Congress started. Gandhiji launched the satyagraha movement, called upon true patriots to come out from the smugness of their homes, face the bullets and go to jail.

No comments:

Post a Comment