Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Second round of pilgrimage and projection of the field of work 5


I decided to continue living in that house because so cheap, spacious and useful accommodation could not be had elsewhere. It turned out to be true that the house was haunted by evil spirits. There was tumult and turmoil throughout the first night on the roof of the house and shrieking sounds of jesting, wagging, weeping and fighting were heard. There was no electricity in the house. I took a lantern, and went up and saw some shadowy male and female figures running away. I could not meet them. They did not harm me. This continued for about ten days.
One night, I went up at about 1 AM with a lantern in my hand and asked the shadowy figures to stop. They stopped. I told them, "You have been living in this house for quite a long time. Let us come to a gentlemanly compromise. You may live in seven rooms on the top floor and we will stay in the remaining eight rooms. Thus you will not be inconvenienced. We will also not be bothered." Nobody replied, although they remained standing. From the next day everything changed. On my part, I complied with the terms of the compromise. They also appeared to be agreeable to the arrangements. Sound of some movement on the roof was, no doubt, heard sometimes but there was no mischief or disturbance which could upset our sleep, frighten the children or cause any obstruction in the work. I got the damaged portion of the house repaired at my cost.
Publication of Akhand Jyoti was again started from this house. I started corresponding with parijans and associates from here. In the first year itself about two thousand subscribers were enrolled. I used to write letters to them and invited them for personal contacts.

I used to study while going for a walk for two hours daily. My anusthan continued in my small room of worship. In place of political work relating to teh INdian National Congress, I speeded up my writing work. My pen started moving in writing books and articles for Akhand Jyoti and translating ancient sacred Sanskrit texts for educating the masses through the medium of moral and spiritual instruction. Akhand Jyoti was printed in my own hand operated press. This routine went on. But I was worried throughout how money and manpower would be arranged to accomplish the huge task of publicatio, installation of the press, building Gayatri tapobhumi and performing a huge yagya which had not been performed since after the Mahabharata? For this the message of Gurudev, 'Sow and Reap' used to appear before my open eyes often. This message was now to be materialized, in teh field of society. I had to become a true brahmana, devoid of all possessions (aparigyahi). My mind started constantly visualizing the outline for the achievement of this noble aim.

No comments:

Post a Comment