Thursday, August 13, 2015

WHERE IS THE DONKEY?


Akbar had a long and tiring day at court, so he wanted to relax.
He said to his courtiers, "Tell me the difference between you all and a donkey."
One surprised courtier looked around the court and said, "But, My Lord, there are no do donkeys here."
Everyone laughed at the courtier for being so foolish as to look around for a real, living donkey in the court.
Seeing was still silent but he seemed to be working out something in his mind. He got up and walked to Akbar as if to measure the distance between Akbar and where he had been sitting.
Everyone was eagerly waiting for his answer.
Birbal said, "Your Majesty, the difference it about eight feet distance."
Akbar said, "Oh! I am sitting at about eight feet away from you. So you find me to be as foolish as a donkey."
Birbal stood quietly. All the pother courtiers looked at Birbal with their mouths wide open. They wondered at his guts to call Akbar a donkey.
As ever, instead of getting angry, Akbar burst out laughing, saying, "Birbal, you are invincible. Nobody can match your wit."

THE TOUGH TEST
 One day, after the court proceedings, Akbar, feeling tired, was about to retire for the day, when a guard came to him.
The guard said," A learned priest and thinker has come and wants to meet you and Ministers Birbal. He is waiting outside."
Akbar, who had great regard for learned men, said, " l Learned men should not kept waiting. Go, call him in."
Akbar said, "Birbal, I am tired. Try to get this visit of the priest over soon."
Birbal replied, "Yes, My Lord. As you wish."
Akbar welcomes the priest with great respect. Then he asked the priest the purpose of his visit.
The priest said, "I want to test Birbal for his cleverness."
Birbal bowed and said, "I am ready, sir."
The priest began, "should I ask you a hundred easy questions or one difficult question?"
The priest agreed, "That is right."
"Have I answered it?" Birbal asked. "That is right too," said the priest.
"Then how can you ask me a second question?" asked Birbal.
The how can you ask me a second question?" asked Birbal.
The priest was very quiet for minutes, but then he said, "That is really very clever of you, Birbal. No.  I cannot ask another question. You are right."

The priest turned to Akbar and said, "I had heard a lot about the clever Birbal and today, I affirm fact that he is the cleverest of us all." 

No comments:

Post a Comment