Tuesday, August 11, 2015

A LIST OF FOOLS


Birbal was once ordered by Akbar to prepare a list of fools in t city of Agra.
Birbal went around the city looking for people and adding their names to his list of fools, wherever and whenever he saw them doing something foolish.
Meanwhile, a man came to the court to sell a horse to Akbar, Akbar was highly impressed with th fine horse.
The man said, "My Lord, I have a hundred such horses to sell. If you want to buy them, then I will get them for you."
Akbar said, "Yes, I want to buy the horses. Why did you not bring all of them with you?"
The horse dealer replied, "It would have cost me a lot of money to bring them with me. But if you give me lakh gold coins, then I can bring all of them in fifteen days."
The horse dealer was given the lakh gold coins from the royal treasury and he left promising to come back soon.
After a few days, Birbal returned from his search for fools. Akbar was so happy with the horse he had bought, that he took Birbal with him to the horse.
Akbar showed the horse and asked, "Isn't this horse wonderful?"
Birbal agreed that it was a fine horse. Akbar said proudly, "I will be getting a hundred such horses in fifteen days."
Birbal asked, "But from where will you get such hundred horses?"
Akbar said, "The horse dealer who gave me this horse will bring hundred more such horses for me. I have given him a lakh of gold coins for the horsed."
Birbal asked surprisingly, "You have already given that money? Your Majesty, do you know who he is? Do you know where he lives? Does anybody know him?"
"No," said Akbar.
Birbal said, "Then how can you be sure, Your Majesty, that the man is honest and will bring those horses?"
Akbar said, "Well, he looked honest and I am sure he will come back."
Birbal asked, "But if he doesn't?"
Akbar said, "Oh, stop it! He will bring the horses. Now forget all this.  Tell me, have you made the list of fools?"
Birbal said, "It is almost ready."
Birbal wrote something on the list. Then he gave it to Akbar and stood quietly.
Akbar started reading and then shouted, "Birbal, why is my name on the very top of the list of fools?"
Birbal said, "Your Majesty, just think over it. A stranger comes and brings a horse, and you give him a lakh of gold coins. Isn't that foolishness?"
Akbar said, "But how can you say just now that I am a fool> That man may come back with the horses."
Birbal said, "But we don't know, My Lord. What if he doesn't come back?"
Akbar said, "But Birbal, what if the man does come back in fifteen days with all the hundred horses?"
Birbal said, "He won't, My Lord."
Akbar said, "But what if he does? Then you will be proved wrong, Birbal?"
Birbal said, "Then I will cut your name from the top of the list of fools."
Akbar said, "Oh that is good!"
Birbal said, "But I will write the name of the horse dealer in that place."
Akbar said, "You mean that if the horse dealer comes to give me the hundred horses, then he will be a bigger fool than everyone whose names are written here."
Birbal said, "Quite right, Your Majesty"

Akbar could not help laughing at Birbal's ever ready wit.

No comments:

Post a Comment