Tuesday, August 11, 2015

THE DAUGHTER OF BIRBAL


One day, Birbal's daughter asked her father to take her to the court of Akbar. She was very young and wanted to see the palace of Akbar.
Birbal took her to the palace and then she went around all the gardens and saw all the rooms of the palace.
She lived in a big house herself because her father, Birbal was a minister in Akbar's court, but she found that everything was more grand and beautiful in Akbar's huge palace.
When she had seen everything, she was taken to the court of Akbar.
Birbal introduced her to Akbar. On Akbar's orders, she was given wonderful things to eat and drink.
Then Akbar started talking to her. He asked, "Did you like my palace?"
She just nodded her head.
Akbar picked her up and made her sit on his lap. Then he asked, "Do you know how to talk?"
She nodded and said, "Yes, Your Majesty, Neither less nor more."
Akbar asked, "What do you mean?"
She replied, "I talk less with elders and more with my friends"

Akbar laughed and said, "Birbal, your daughter has given such a quick reply. She is just like you, clever and witty."

a hair of his moustache
Akbar was getting ready for the court. As he was being dressed, his grandson came running to him.
Akbar's grandson sat on his lap and said, "There is something on your moustache. Bend down, Grandpa and I will remove it." Akbar bent down and Khurram pulled one hair from his white moustache.
Akbar shouted, "Ooooh! You naughty boy! What have you done?"
Khurram ran away shouting, "See Grandpa, I have fooled you."
Akbar walked to his court and thought, "I must put this question to my courtiers and see what they answer. Oh, I will enjoy myself! This time even Birbal will not be able to answer."
Akbar then questioned his courtiers, "Someone pulled out one hair from my moustache. I want you all to guess his name and tell me what kind of punishment should be given to that person.
The courtiers were unable to guess the person's name. They wondered as to who could have dared to pull a hair from their Emperor's moustache?
One courtier shouted, "Whosoever it may be, that person should be jailed>"
Another courtier said, "Put him under an elephant's legs."
Other shouted, "Hang him, My Lord."
Akbar was very happy that no one had been able to guess the culprit's name.
Akbar saw that Birbal was very quiet.
Akbar thought, "Well, this time even Birbal does not know the answer that is why he is not answering."
Akbar said, "Birbal, why have you not yet suggested any punishment?"
"I think, Your Majesty, You should give that person a kiss," Birbal said confidently.
Akbar thought, "This answer shows that Birbal has understood who pulled my moustache hair. He is really very clever. I can never defeat him." But the other courtiers were shocked.
"What are you saying?" asked one.
"Are you out of your mind?" said another.
Akbar asked, "A kiss is given as a reward, not as a punishment, Birbal. Why do you want me to reward and not punish the culprit?"
Birbal said, "Your Highness, you don't need to give any punishment. No one can dare to pull out a hair of your moustache because you are the king."
"But I am telling the truth, someone has done that," Akbar insisted.
Birbal said, "Yes, I know that, Your Majesty. But I think that only a child could have had done it and that also your own grandson whom you love so much. So you should give him a kiss."
Akbar said, "You are right again, Birbal. It was Khurram who playfully pulled the hair from my moustache."

1 comment: