Saturday, August 8, 2015

THE POOR MAN


Everyone liked Hatimtai for his kindness. He made sure that no one went hungry in his kingdom.
One day, he was riding through a forest when he heard a small child crying. He stopped to see from where the voice was coming. He got off his horse and walked towards the direction from where the voice was coming.
He saw a hut in which a man was sitting with his wife and child. It was this child who was crying.
Hatim asked them, "Why is this child crying?"
The mother replied, "The child is crying because he is hungry and we have no food to feed him."
"Why don't you have food to feed the child?" asked Hatim.
The father said, "I am a poor woodcutter. Today I fell down from a tree and hurt myself, so I could not go to cut wood."
Hatim took out some gold coins and told the poor man to take the money and buy some food for his child. But the woodcutter stood up, folded his hands and said, 'I know that you are a kind, but I can't take anything from you."
Hatim was surprised to hear the woodcutter's reply.
He asked, "Why can't you take this money? I am your king, and it is my duty to help you."
"If I take this money, I would feel as if I have got alms from you. I don't want to beg for money. I don't want my family to live on charity, "said the woodcutter.
"But you did not beg for money. I was the one who asked you to take it,"
said hatim.
"I am sorry, But I take money only when I have worked hard for it," "said the woodcutter.
Hatim did not say anything for some time. The woodcutter thought that hatim was offended by his refusal to take the money. But Hated was not angry with the woodcutter.
With a smile on his face, he said, "People say that I am kind and good, but think that you are better than me."
"What are you saying, My Lord? I am just a simple poor man, "said the woodcutter.
"No, you are truly great. Your child is crying, yet you don't want to take money that you have not worked for. God bless you! I will never forget you, "said Hatim.

Later, Hatim offered him work in his palace and paid a handsome salary to him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment