Friday, July 3, 2015

SHIVA'S BOW


King Janak welcomed Vishwamitra, Rama and Lakshmana to his palace in Mithila.
He asked Vishwamitra, "Who are these handsome young boys?"
Vishwamitra replied, "They are the sons of king Dashrtha of Kosala. I have brought them to see the bow of Lord Shiva."
King Janak replied, "You can surely see it, but first let me tell you how it came to me. Lord Shiva had given it to one of my forefathers. And since then it has been in our family."
Vishwamitra said,"It is so heavy that no one can even lift the bow."
King Janak then said, "Whoever lifts that bow and string will be married to my daughter Sita. Many suitors have tried their hands at it but in vain.
Vishwamitra added, "You should also hear the story of Sita's birth."
King Janak then narrated the story of Sita's birth. He told them, "I was ordered by Brahma to plough a field early n te morning with my own hands. I obeyed and began to plough a field when I heard the cries of a child. When I carefully ploughed a little more, I found a baby girl. I picked her up and brought her to my palace."
King Janak continued, "We named her Sita because she is the child of Mother earth. I have brought her up like my own daughter. Tomorrow I have arranged for her Syayamvar."
King Janak then made arrangements for their stay in the palace. After resting for a while, Rama and Lakshmana took Vishwamitra's permission to take a tour around the city.
The people of Mithila crowded on the streets to look at the beautiful and charming yourg princes of Kosala. The people were so mesmerized by these two princes that they welcomed them to the city by showering flowers on them
King Janak had invited kings and princes from far and wide to take part in t Swayamvar.
At the Swayamvar, Shiva's bow was brought in a huge carriage, ,pulled by hundreds of men because no one could pick it up or carry it alone.
One by one all the kings and princes tried to lift the great bow but all failed. They even tried to lift the bow together but in vain. Feeling humiliated, they all went back and sat in their placed.

Vishwamitra then signaled Rama to lift the great bow of Shiva.

No comments:

Post a Comment