Saturday, July 4, 2015

VISHWAMITRA


One day, the great sage Vishwamitra came to the court of king Dashratha, who heartily welcomed him to his palace.
When Dashratha asked him the reason for his arrival, Vishwamitra said, "I am performing a Vedic ritual, but some demons are constantly troubling me. I want your son Rama to come with me and kill those demons."
Upset on hearing this, Dasharatha said "But Rama is only sixteen. How can my adolescent son kill dangerous demons" I shall come with you personally, or I will send my army with you."
On hearing Dashratha's reply Vishwamitra angrily said, "I want only Rama to come and kill the demons."
Dashratha was still reluctant to send Rama with him. When the enraged Vishwamitra decided to leave, Vashistha stopped him. It was on Vashishta's advice that Dashratha allowed Rama to go with Vishwamitra. Lakshmana insisted on accompanying Rama. Then Rama and Lakshmana took their parents' blessings and went with Vishwamitra.
When they reached the Saryu river, Vishwamitra told Rama and Lakshmana to bathe in the holy river. He then taught the two princes some chants which would help them to become stronger.
Rama and Lakshmana soon learnt the chants. They were now eagerly waiting to reach the place where Vishwamirra was troubled by the demons.
They knew that they would have to face a lot of danger, but they were not afraid. They were brave and confident that they would win.

All this while, Dashratha and the three queens were missing Rama and Lakshmana a lot. They would often sit together and talk about their sons.

No comments:

Post a Comment