Tuesday, August 11, 2015

GIFT OF GOD


One day when Birbal came late to the court, everyone turned towards him and started laughing. He could make out that they had been making fun of him.
Akbar said, "Birbal, we were discussing that all of us are fair, then why is it that you have a darker skin?"
Birbal replied, "That's true, My Lord. Actually, there is a secret behind this which no one knows."
Then Akbar said angrily, "Birbal, have you kept a secret from me, even your Emperor? I order you to tell it to me."
Birbal replied politely, "I will do as you say, Your Majesty. I will have to tell you about something from the past."
Akbar said, "Tell us. We really want to know." All the courtiers agreed.
Then Birbal explained, "God created the world. God felt something was amiss, So He made plants, birds and animals.
Akbar said, "That is no secret."
Birbal said, "But still god was not happy, so God made man. Then He felt happy and thought of bestowing gifts upon all of us."
Akbar asked, "What gifts, Birbal?"
Birbal replied, "God threw money, looks and brains down on the earth. He gave five minutes to all to pick up as many gifts as they could."
Then Akbar asked, "So? What happened then?"
"My secret is that I spent all the five minutes in gathering wit and cleverness, and did not have time for the other two. But all of you were busy in picking up looks and money. This is my secret."

Many courtiers felt bad because they knew that Birbal had in a way said that they were not clever. But Akbar laughed loudly, appreciating Birbal's clever reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment