Saturday, May 23, 2015

Carnal mind 2


At home, I used to sleep for four hours daily as I had to attend to various types of work. Here in the Himalayas, I slept for six hours daily because before sunrise one could do nothing except mental jap. Due to the height of mountains sunrise here is late and darkness sets in much earlier than in the plains. Therefore, out of the twelve hours of darkness six hours were set apart for sleeping and six hours for Upasana. There was no compulsion to take bath before Upasana. It was possible to bathe and dry clothes only at noon. I had to chalk out my daily routine according to the circumstances obtaining there.
The one thing that needs special mention about this first journey to the Himalayas is that I had perfected the art of molding my mind according to the circumstances. Figuratively speaking, half the journey towards the appointed goal of life had been covered during this first pilgrimage. Pressures, no doubt, had to be faced in abundance in the first year but raw iron had been rid of dross through this fire of baptism and had been converted into strong steel capable of being profitably utilized for any purpose in future.
My life before going to the Himalayas was altogether different. Life was going on somehow with all the facilities and resources available at hand. Everything appeared to be straight and simple. But no sooner did I reach the Himalayas everything was topsytuvy. Circumstances there were almost akin to those which a person newly recruited in t army is required to face when, on account of the outbreak of war, he is required suddenly to rush to take up position at the battle front and give an account of his valor.
The direct result of this pilgrimage was that my carnal mind was totally subdued and my higher self won decisively. The mind tried to evade and procrastinate like a new bullock who is yoked to the plough for the first time. But it did not get any support from anywhere because the farmer behind the plough (the awakened soul) was bent upon taming it at all costs. Ultimately the mind was left with no alternative but to submissively assent to be yoked to the plough.
I had to face altogether new formidable challenges for the whole year and an apprehension arose in my mind that such a difficult test was bound to adversely affect my health and the doors for material wellbeing would be finally closed for me.
In all fairness, I must share with the readers that once such a base materialistic thought did win my mind. Several hypocrites have hoisted their banners of religiosity and piety in the name of the Himalayas and have declared themselves to be Siddha Purusas. I was myself acquainted with the life stories of several such persons. I thought why should I not do the same and indulge in merry making for the whole of life? As soon as this thought arose, I resolutely pushed it, there and then, out of my mind. I understood that my mind was being put to a test. I thought that when material resources for luxury and comfort could be amassed by ordinary intelligence, why should I be a hypocrite and defame the Himalayas, Siddha purusas, God and tapascarya?
My interview with the divine Risis in the Himalayas changed me completely. Throughout, there was a battle going on between the carnal mind and the higher self but ultimately my higher self returned victorious from the Himalayas.


Liberation for me means release from the clutches of desires and cravings. This I have attained. Heaven for me means the mingling together, as a river, of the triple streams of; molding one's life in accordance with sublime and ennobling ideals; seeing only the good in others behind the facade of appearance to the contrary and loving others through identity of Spirit. I have been bathing in this blissful river of heavenly joy for a long time. I have now no desire either to go to Heaven or attain Liberation

No comments:

Post a Comment